Consultation on Climate Change Supplementary Planning Document
Parish and town councils, neighbouring authorities, developers and landowners are being urged to have their say on a new Climate Change Supplementary Planning Document (SPD).
SPDs should build upon and provide more detailed advice or guidance on policies in an adopted local plan
The draft Climate Change Supplementary Planning Document seeks to provide additional guidance on the following key areas:
• Green Infrastructure – including linkages to parks and open spaces, trees and landscaping, as well as linkages to biodiversity.
• Water – including managing flood risk, sustainable drainage systems and the drainage hierarchy
• Energy – including the energy hierarchy, home energy standards and renewable energy systems
• Transport – including walkable and low car neighbourhoods, walking, cycling and public transport. It also includes the facilitation of electric vehicles.
• Building Design – including density of development and orientation
The SPD also includes a checklist for developers which it is intended they will use to set out as part of a planning application submission how they have addressed the measures included within the SPD. Once adopted, the SPD will have statutory weight in the decision making process, and can be used in the determination of planning applications as a “material consideration”.
A six-week online survey on the draft SPD starts on 12 February and can be completed at www.derbyshiredales.gov.uk/climatechangeSPD
The District Council’s Planning Policy team can be contacted for more information by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 01629 7611251.